Sunday 30 March 2014

camp nano


NaNoWriMo is the National Novel Writing Month. It takes place every year in November, and the idea is that you have to write 50 000 words, i.e. a novel, in one month. There’s no money, no prize except the sheer satisfaction of having done it. Think running a marathon, but in front of a computer screen.

It’s supposed to be fiction and you are meant to start from scratch. The first time I did it I followed the rules and won. Also I didn’t have a job. The second time I wrote 10 000 words for an existing project then decided my PGCE and my sanity were more important. This year I didn’t even try.

But the NaNo also does a camp every year in the spring and summer, though the exact months have varied. This year there is one in April and I’m going to do it! This is my page if you would like to follow me! I will also be posting about it on this blog.

The good thing about the camp is that it’s more relaxed. You can choose your word count so I’m aiming for 25 000 – half a NaNo. Also I’ve got the Easter holidays right in the middle, so that should help. I’m hoping to get through a few of those extra chapters and scenes.


There are also virtual cabins where you can relax and chat by the fire, and toast some marshmallows, so if you fancy joining me, give me a shout. Or I might hang out on the Clavier Dansant forum – I’ve heard there is good company there.

On both I’m Petite Mangeuse dEtoiles (NaNo won’t accept apostrophes, I’m afraid).
Literally it means the little star eater. In case you were wondering why this name (which I’m sure you were, right?), I gave myself the name in school after I found a quote in Promise at Dawn by Romain Gary (who is my literary god). He’s explaining how, when he first read Treasure Island, he started imagining that everywhere treasures might be buried, but we unknowingly pass them by, and that it would only take a little digging to uncover them. And he writes (clumsily translated by my services):
‘Only very old star eaters will understand what such an illusion can bring in disappointment and bitterness.’

See you there! 1st April: here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like messages. Come and say 'hello'.
If you can't post messages, try using a different browser. Mozilla doesn't like me.