Saturday 29 March 2014

One month on


Shame on me.

Last Saturday my blog was one month-old and I didn’t even post. Nothing. The first time this month I have not kept my promise, and it was the day I should have celebrated.

First I need to thank you, that is everyone who comes and stops by, especially those of you who take the trouble of commenting. It means the world to me.


I also have to make amends. Not only will there be two blog posts this week (this one for last week and another tomorrow for this week), here is a magnificent drawing from me, the likes of which I am certain you have never seen before:





I used to draw little people in the margins of all my books at school and soon fairies took over. I thought I would post it as a peace offering. I know, right, I'm so talented it's a wonder I don't burst.

As I wrote this, I thought back to what I have shared this month and it triggered a random memory from my childhood.

In my first year of secondary school, I had a group of friends I didn’t really get on with. One thing they didn’t like about me was that I boasted. If you know me now this might come as a shock (unless you know me particularly well), but considering that until the age of ten I was a pretty confident child then it might be they were right.
Obviously I don’t think they were. I distinctly remember one occasion when they accused me of boasting and I had indeed said something along the lines of, ‘I’m so great at this game’.
Except I had just lost.

Now it might have been that they had an unsuspected insight into my personality of which even I was unaware. Perhaps they had sensed that beneath the superficial self-deprecation and light-heartedness lay a deep fear of failure and an insatiable desire for perfection which leads to perpetual frustration with myself and against which the only weapon is humour, a flaw of character my parents frequently refer to as my ‘misplaced pride’, as if it were something I had put down somewhere and lost - though my mum does believe I am pretty bad at finding things so maybe it isn’t so far-fetched an idea. (Does that qualify for the longest sentence ever or is Proust still in the running?)
But somehow I don’t think so. I think they just didn’t get sarcasm.

This brings me to us. All throughout this month, I haven’t censored myself. I have pondered and edited and moderated. But I have told my internal censor, the one that usually stops me from taking part in normal conversations, to go and do something rather rude. I have opened up and taken the risk of showing what goes on inside my head. The little message underneath my picture doesn’t lie: I am hiding behind my computer screen, but that's precisely what makes it so liberating.

Yet now I fear that I have said too much. I hesitated to post this for exactly the reasons I usually censor myself: fear of what people will think. I worry that, despite the reading warning, my declarations of amazingness will be taken literally, just like they were when I was eleven.

As I celebrate the birthday of my blog, and blow on the virtual candles to wish it a long and prosperous life, I reiterate: please don’t take me too seriously. I do, and that’s already one person too many.

1 comment:

  1. J'ai juste envie de t'envoyer des bisous virtuels ! (oui, ceci est un commentaire pretty useless, i know)

    Très sincèrement, à moins de tomber sur des trolls (et je sais qu'il y a en pas mal qui peuplent internet), je ne pense pas que les gens vont prendre ton humour et ton sarcasme de travers. Et au pire, s'ils le font, ils n'ont qu'à arrêter de lire ton blog. Tu ne forces personne. Je pense que celles et ceux qui viennent ici le font par plaisir.

    ReplyDelete

I like messages. Come and say 'hello'.
If you can't post messages, try using a different browser. Mozilla doesn't like me.