Saturday 15 November 2014

Saturday morning thoughts


~*~ Warning: this post includes discussions of plot and characters ~*~

I have been reading a Wattpad online book on writing and it made me reflect on a couple of things about my book, namely high concept and strong characters. So I thought I'd share those thoughts.

High concept:
The pitch of a book (or a movie) is a sentence that summarizes what it’s about. Also known as the elevator pitch, i.e. ‘you bump into an editor in the elevator and you have one minute before they get off - what do you say?’, famous examples include:
"Bambi in Africa meets Hamlet” (The Lion King)
“Teenagers fight to the death in an arena” (The Hunger Games)


If a story can be sold purely on the pitch alone, it is a High Concept. It is highly marketable. The Hunger Games is one.

Other examples (from storymerchantinclude:
“Erin Brockovich": An unemployed single mother becomes a legal assistant and almost single-handedly brings down a California power company accused of polluting a city's water supply.
"American Pie": Four teenage boys make a pact to lose their virginity by prom night.

So what would my pitch be and is it High Concept?
Well, the plot itself is quite complicated to explain. Whenever I'm asked what my book about I feel like asking, 'How long do you have?' - needless to say I haven't nailed the elevator pitch yet. The closest I’ve come to summarizing my story in a few words is my tagline ‘How far would you go for what you believe in?’ Thinking about it today, the only thing I could think of is ‘Good fairies do bad things’, but although it describes the concept, it really doesn’t tell you what the story is about. So I think I definitely fail on the high concept front.

But then again, what is the point? To make a story marketable. Marketable to publishers? I’m not going down that route. Marketable to the public? Well, I think word of mouth is more what I’m going for. After all, very few high concepts sell something to me. I read Harry Potter well into the hype (and in spite of it) because they were casting a role and advertised it in my school. I read the Hunger Games because I liked the movie, after it was recommended to me by a friend. If anything else, the high concept of the Hunger Games turned me off. 

My conclusion is that high concepts are overrated. The value of a story, I think, is in its execution.
‘Story ideas, treatments and screenplays can all have High Concept premises. But only High Concept projects can be sold from a pitch because they are pitch driven. Non-High Concept projects can't be sold from a pitch because they are execution driven. They have to be read to be appreciated and their appeal isn't obvious by merely running a logline past someone. This is the reason why films like "Pulp Fiction," "Star Wars" and "Sideways" could never be sold from a pitch.’

Not to say that my book is the next Star Wars, but I do think that its value is in the world, the characters and the ideas in it. And I think that is true even of High Concept books and movies. 

'Bambi in Africa meets Hamlet' really doesn't do this movie justice.

Strong characters:
You might remember my rant about strong female characters. However, the description the author of the wattpad book makes of strong characters is purely from a narrative perspective: they are characters who make choices (even bad ones), who act, and therefore move the story on.
So I analysed my own story from that angle. Stus and Rowan definitely are strong characters: they makes choices, and these choices have consequences that drive the story forward. Not so for Lacie, but I’ll come back to her in a second.

One comment The Boyfriend made while editing my book was that things for Stus happen too quickly. Because of the timeline, and the places where the different stories intertwine, I have no choice but to have those events happen to Stus when they do (or it would be confusing for the reader). After that, Stus is a lot more passive as he loses control of the situation. So his story peaks quite early on.

Lacie’s story, on the other hand, is the opposite. For most of the story she is passive. I know - I'm selling my character really well! So she doesn't act like a strong character, but I think her story is interesting because she eventually takes on a strong role. By the end of the story, when both Rowan and Stus have become powerless she is the one making the choices and making things happen. She becomes strong, when she wasn’t to start with. To me, over and above the plot resolution, that’s what makes the climax interesting.

I suppose that is why I need my three POV (point of view) characters: they take turns leading the story. Now I can see how that’s a little unorthodox (to say it nicely), but it’s not done for the sake of being original. It’s part of the story and how I need to tell it.


Relay race, anyone?


Whether or not it’s effective… well that’s a good question. But you'll let me know, right?

4 comments:

  1. I think the challenge about Lacie being passive is the difficulty with all 'normal' protagonists going into an 'extraordinary' world - they usually lack, and have to learn or discover, the powers the make them special. In the meantime, they predominantly get 'done to' rather than doing. A good example of this might be Fitz in the Robin Hobb books. He spends his whole life being done to and even the various skills he picks up and adventures he goes on, it often feels like he is victim to the whims of others and fatal inevitabilities. The real achievement in those books is that you are so invested in his character that his soul-searching is itself interesting, and because of that he doesn't necessarily feel eclipsed by other characters. I'm not sure that Lacie quite manages that in the book yet.

    On which point, her special power does come out quite late so in that case you really need the reader to empathise with her point of view (being a 27-year old male it's hard for me to tell whether that works or not already...)

    Another neat example might be the kids in the CS Lewis books - I can't remember them all that well, but they quite quickly become pivotal to the plot, sometimes in horrendously twee expositions about their royal heritage, surprisingly sudden sword-fighting and leadership abilities, and so on.

    In terms of a one-liner, it depends on whether you want something descriptive (e.g. "A young girl discovers helps rebels find and defend ancient magic from an evil sorcerer") or thematic (what you had above). Ideally, it could do both. As I read it, the book sort of intertwines two main storylines that often interacts - one of which is more action-packed and driving the story forward, especially since it contains the protagonist with which I think the reader most associates with (the Lacie story) and the other which is more thematic, more about what you say above. And before you say it, I know Rowan has his own moral challenge, but it is a smaller part of the plot than for Stus, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your struggle with the pitch of the book, since I have the same issue with mine (at least for the LVDD one), but I can't quite give my point of view here, like Mark did, since I haven't read the new version of TGA yet ! (there's no editing tab on "blogspot comment", so consider the "yet" as underlined). ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discussions, yay! But what do I see? The delusional writer sends her brave troupes to defend the powerless infant novel!

    So, Mark... Lacie. The thing with Fitz's soul searching is that it is developed over 3 books (well, more with the alter series) of over 600 pages each. Mine is one little book of 400 pages. So from that point of view Lacie has quite a lot more character development than Fitz, or rather stops being passive much quicker. She also hasn't got as much sh*** to deal with. I also think that for her it isn't about soul-searching as such. I obviously love Lacie's character, and for me what's interesting about her, EVEN when she's passive, is her shyness and general awkwardness. It's my empathy for her that makes me feel connected to her story (*cough* mostly because she's like me).

    Of course that's me as a writer, and I have a very different connection to my characters as readers will, but I still think that Lacie 'reads' well, even in the beginning chapters. And I think her character development is one of the more interesting aspects of my story. You are allowed to disagree (I know, how magnanimous of me).

    That being said, I am changing a couple of things. Since I've decided the 'Star Eaters' section is unnecessary indulgence and have now scrapped it, Lacie's going to have to discover this particular power in a different way, and I think it's going to happen very early on... so there, she's going to start appearing 'special' earlier.

    Caroline, Lacie's story has not changed much so do feel free to comment.

    On another note - Caroline do you have a pitch for Lost Cause?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should re-read TGA to comment about Lacy. So I should get the new version, since I'm going to re-read it anyway. ^^ (yup, I'm not going to let it go that easily) ;)
    As for LC, I haven't given it a try yet. Well at least not a proper one. But I feel much more comfortable explaining the story in a few words than for LVDD (for that one, it takes me ages...), so does that count ?

    ReplyDelete

I like messages. Come and say 'hello'.
If you can't post messages, try using a different browser. Mozilla doesn't like me.