Saturday 19 April 2014

Camp Nano Day 19

This is the update for Day 19. Nearly 3 weeks in, which means I should have written nearly 16 000 words. What do you think?

Of course I haven't! BUT I have written 8327 words, so it's not that bad.
I've had a good stab at my dreaded first chapter, managing to scramble over some hurdles, though I'm not done yet.
I've also worked on some of the last scenes. I wanted to make some changes for two reasons. The first is that as part of my ongoing attempt at making my story less moralistic, I've cut down on the preachy stuff and therefore had to condense some of it and change the scenes. Now it's all at the end and is fairly short - kind of Dumbledore style.

Love Richard Harris!

The other reason is that I have added an epilogue! Wouhou!

The other day I was in the pub with friends from singing and talking about my prologue. I was saying I might change it because, although some of what happens is hinted at later on, it never gets explained. In fact it only really gets explained in book 2 (have I mentioned this is a trilogy?). Which is a tad problematic. So my friend Chris suggested writing an epilogue from the point of view of the character from the prologue, to tie things together. I thought it was a brilliant idea because it would allow me to reveal some things but only to tease the reader, and tie the whole trilogy together through these tidbits at the beginning and at the end. And it allowed me to keep my prologue, which I like.

So there, that's the rundown so far. Some progress is better than no progress, I always say! On the other hand, I've looked at how much I have achieved so far compared to how much I still need to do, and it's rather depressing...

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed ! I've written around 6000 words so far and I'm not even close to half of my 25k goal. But I guess it's better than nothing. ;)
    Anyway, keep writing. You're doing it right !
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I like messages. Come and say 'hello'.
If you can't post messages, try using a different browser. Mozilla doesn't like me.